Shrink-o-Matic

The Drama of Human Neuroses: When Every Little Thing Matters

Subscribe
Add to Technorati Favourites
Add to del.icio.us
Add to Technorati Favorites
Aug 1, 2006

Joining the Ranks

Posted by Bella

After much hoopla, I've decided it's time I joined the ranks of worldwide bloggers who apparently have a great deal to say. I figured, I have a lot to say, so better sooner than later.

Looking at the beige blankness in front of me, I have to wonder why it is that I suddenly have little to share. I always have such a lot to say that a two-way conversation feels like an over-rated waste of time. Here's a thought: just be quiet and let me do the talking. How about a monologue, please? Just shut up and listen to me! To ME! But keep sitting there, pretending we are in a conversation, because as long as I have an audience, we can still call this a conversation. And when all else fails, you can get up and leave, thank you very much. Off with you. I don't need you here anymore.

You know what I mean? Do you ever feel like you just aren't being listened to or that no one heard what you just said? Why does everyone think what they have to say is more important than the thoughts of the person they're communicating with? Why must everyone have the last word in everything? If everyone wants to have the last word, how do you know when the conversation has ended? If someone has the final say and the other fails to respond for a few seconds, does that mean they gave up on having the final say? Is there a hard and fast rule on the last word? Hey, let's make up a rule right now! Let's call it the "8-second" rule. Anyone who forfeits their turn in a conversation in 8 or more seconds by saying nothing gives up on the last word.

Hah! Too late. You waited too long. I just had the last word.

The last word. It's all about the last word. That really ticks me off.

0 comments: